FrancoQueer is the association for gay, lesbian, bisexual, two-spirit, transsexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, asexual and allied (LGBTQIA) francophones in Toronto and Ontario. Founded in 2006 and subsequently registered as a non-profit organization in Ontario, FrancoQueer is the only association by and for LGBTQIA francophones in the province.
The mission of FrancoQueer is to bring together and represent LGBTQIA francophones and their allies, and to offer them specifically-tailored activities, services and programs, as well as opportunities to celebrate their diversity in a francophone atmosphere.
The vision of FrancoQueer is to promote the values of inclusion, tolerance and participation for all LGBTQIA people in Ontario. FrancoQueer seeks to develop an organizational and social framework which demonstrates, by its politics, programs and activities, a new understanding around the challenges of social exclusion, marginalisation and the intersection of identities which are sexuality, language and diversity.
FrancoQueer has the mission and goal of:
- Gathering and representing French-speaking lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual people and their allies (LGBTQIA) in Ontario;
- Assuring respect for the rights of the members of the LGBTQIA community and demanding more;
- Facilitating the integration of LGBTQIA people into the francophone community;
- Facilitating the integration of newly arrived LGBTQIA francophones in Ontario;
- Raising awareness in the Franco-Ontarian community about sexual diversity and promoting the principles of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
- Offering services, programs and activities tailored to the French-speaking LGBTQIA community;
- Raising funds to ensure the sustainability of the organization;
- Forming partnerships with organizations that promote and/or share the mission and objectives of our association;
- Organizing Franco Fierté, the only francophone LGBTQIA festival in Ontario, on an annual basis.
Our Services and Activities
- Information and referrals – By telephone, email or otherwise, our volunteers will answer your questions and direct you toward the appropriate resources.
- Carrefour des Immigrants FrancoQueer (CIF) – “Crossroads of FrancoQueer Immigrants”, a program that helps with the establishment and integration of francophone LGBTQIA newcomers to Toronto.
- Bilingual café – Weekly gatherings for practicing a second language and developing bilingualism (French and English).
- Franco Fierté Festival (Franco Pride Festival) – A yearly gathering to celebrate francophone diversity during Toronto’s Pride festivities, one of the most important festivals of its kind in the world.
- Workshops and discussion groups:
- “Sexualité au masculin”: workshops about men’s sexual health, offered in partnership with Action positive VIH/sida.
- “Café Global Arc-en-ciel”: A group for information, dialogue and support for LGBTQIA immigrants and refugees.
“Together, proud of our community and our diversity!”